Friday, March 23, 2012

The knowledge god

S.1 Cor. 8:1-3. "Now concerning the things offered to idols: We know that we have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies. And if anyone thinks he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know. But if anyone loves God, this one is known by Him."

O. In this "information age" where "knowledge is Power", there's not a lot that we can't know about if we really set our minds to know. Even as we endeavor to know about God we are blessed with seemingly endless resources. Yet here, it appears to me that, Paul is referring to knowledge as an idol. As we become more and more knowledgeable about anything , including God and His Holy Word, our nemeses, pride, gains more and more of a foothold in our lives. The very Word that God has given us as a means of drawing us closer to Jesus has suddenly become a chasm between us.

A. The daily S.O.A.P. reading plan has been nothing short of  an enormous blessing for me, enabling me  to discover truths that I might have otherwise overlooked. Could it be possible that all this wonderful knowledge that God's word has revealed to me has become an idol? My only hope, the only thing that I can count on is that He knows me and that He loves me anyway!

P. LORD, give me a contrite heart. Help me remember that I really don't know anything that counts except " I love You JESUS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment